The Database Administration is responsible for directly overseeing the health of the Databases used at TCR. This role will develop and implement the strategic direction, with a service management philosophy that ensures customer satisfaction.
The employee will be responsible for physical databases on specific database technologies; designs and implements back-up, recovery, archiving and conversion strategies. Performs required database administration activities including installation, configuration, and tuning. Mentors junior level DBAs, creates and maintains standards for DBA activities. Ensures adequate database capacity.
- Establishing the needs of users and monitoring user access and security
- Monitoring performance and managing parameters to provide fast query responses to front-end users
- Mapping out the conceptual design for a planned database in outline
- Considering both back-end organization of data and front-end accessibility for end-users
- Implementing operational automation using scripts
- Troubleshooting and resolving database problems
- Refining the logical design so that it can be translated into a specific data model and further refining the physical design to meet system storage requirements
Disaster Recovery Management
- Installing and testing new versions of the database management system (DBMS)
- Maintaining data standards, including adherence to the Data Protection Act
- Writing database documentation, including data standards, procedures and definitions
- Controlling access permissions and privileges
- Developing, managing and testing disaster recovery processes and servers as well back-up and recovery plans
- Ensuring that storage, archiving, back-up and recovery procedures are functioning correctly
Required Minimum Education / Training
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
- Certification in MCTS, MCITP, MVP (advantageous)
Required Minimum Work Experience
- Experience with SQL Server Database Design, Administration, Script Writing.
- 5 - 10 year's database Administration Experience.
- 8+ years of SQL Server administration experience hands on data analysis, problem solving, data design and modelling.
- Expert understanding of complex SQL, stored procedures, and database functions
- 5 - 10 years Windows Server experience (including Active Directory and proper disk configurations).
- 5 - 10 years MS SQL Server 2005 / 2008 experience.
- Knowledge of High Availability(HA) and Disaster Recovery(DR) options for MS SQL Server 2005 / 2008/ 2012
- Knowledge of indexes, index management, and statistics
Technical and Behavioural Competencies Required
- SQL Server Database Design
- Script Writing
- Data analysis
- Data design and modelling
- SQL stored procedures and database functions
- Indexes, index management, and statistics
- Client centric
- Hard working and innovative
- Deadline driven
•Problem solving & analytical skills
•Clear understanding of computers and electronics
•Knowledge of Transaction security and virus protection software
•Ability to express themselves verbally and written